I got an old navy blue skirt that I was given, sprayed it in bleach, covered it in paint and turned it into a galaxy print skirt. I am quite happy with the finished product c:
You will need:
+ a dark colored item of clothing
+ an empty spray bottle
+ fabric paint or acrylic paint in purple, blue, red, white and yellow
+ an old toothbrush
1. Lay the shirt on some paper on the floor. In the spray bottle, make a mixture of half bleach and half water. Spray the skirt unevenly, creating areas of highly concentrated bleach where you want your cosmos to be. It will turn an orangey color pretty immediately, but will take some time to lighten, so don’t go to crazy with the bleach.
I left it to dry for an hour, then rinsed it in cold water and left it to dry again.
2. Water down some purple paint, and with a sponge, go around the bleach spots and fill in most of the black spots.
3. Using an additional sponge of watered down blue paint, go around the purple that’s around the bleach spots. Then apply some blue to the center of the large purple/black areas.
4. Use the red paint to blend the orange of the bleach spots into the blue and purple, which will give it some dimension. Then add some white paint to the center of the bleach spots so they stand out.
5. Now we are going to make the stars, which was super messy and involved some trial and error! Do as I did not, and practice this on something else first. Using an old toothbrush dipped in white paint, you’re going to bend the bristles back so that it scatters white flecks. By holding the toothbrush at different angles, you’ll be able to create different size stars, which is important for creating depth. Concentrate the flecks more in the darker areas. Then, using a sharp pencil dipped in white paint, create larger stars by making X shapes.
6. Take a step back and evaluate your feelings. I felt like the light parts didn’t pop enough, so I added some yellow around the white, which turned out to be a good idea. Now go away and let it dry!
7. Have your girlfriend take a picture of you wearing it, and post it on the internet.
Tutorial sourced from here: (x)